Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Not as bad as I thought....

Well, I had the big scary needle done yesterday. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was only uncomfortable for a few moments, and when the needle went in, it kinda zinged over to the left with some pain, but not too bad. I didn't want to watch it go in, so I just looked at David the whole time. He saw it go in on the monitor and said it was really weird.
So onto some good news... The original genetics counselor talked about Trisomy 13. THIS counselor started talking about Trisomy 21. So I got a little confused.... I thought that this kid was going to have 13 not 21? What the heck?
So I started crying, and I think that the counselor thought that I was going to get hysterical, but actually I was crying because Trisomy 21 is WAY better than Trisomy 13. To have a little Down Syndrome baby is definitely better than having a baby that might die the moment I give birth to her. So I calmed down enough for the counselor to continue, and get through all of the stuff and info. that I needed for the amniocentesis. We finished up and David and I headed to the ultrasound area for the amnio. They (the lab tech. and the Doctor) took lots for pictures for measurements, but the baby wasn't really cooperating so I have another, what they call, 'Level 2' ultrasound in a week and a half, on June 4th. I hope to get the results of the amnio. around the 8th or 9th of June. So I'm in limbo for awhile more, but just to know that my little baby might be able to stick around on this Earth for a bit longer is fantastic news. I'll update in a few days about Emmy's birthday trip to Disneyland. It was so much fun! And she got a bunch of Tinkerbell presents too.

1 comment:

Becky Mutter said...

Okay, so if there HAS to be a chromosome abnormality, we're rooting for 21! Here's to it being 21!
Is there a possibility of it all being a false alarm at this point? Or are they pretty sure that SOMEthing is wrong and are just testing for the specific abnormality.